With the leftover basil from my tomato bruschetta - I decided to make homemade pesto.
First - I should let you know two things.
1. I have not gone food shopping for about 2 months and had to shop at the little grocery store around the corner from our apartment.
2. That place is mad expensive.
Because of this, I had to tweek the traditional pesto recipe slightly. I bought and used walnuts instead of pine nuts. (I was not about to spend $9 for 3 ounces of pine nuts.)
After that everything was pretty much the same.
Next time, I am going to toast the walnuts before adding them to the processor. I like the smokey-ness it brings out. I am also going to use a sharper Parmesan cheese. The cheese I had was a bit milder than I would have liked.
Sorry for the lack of pictures - I was too hungry!
I served it over whole wheat penne with extra Parmesan on the top - yum!
No comments:
Post a Comment