Saturday, April 24, 2010

13. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and get Grimaldi's Pizza.

On sunny Saturday morning, J and I set out in search of one thing: pizza. And not just any pizza my friends - but authentic, crispy, New Yorky Grimaldi's Pizza.

Grimaldi's first opened in New York in 1905. It is the fierce competitor of Lombardi's. Both establishments boast they there were the first pizzeria's in America and use coal-fired brick ovens. I have been to both and personally - I don't take sides - I just eat.
Mama and I at Lombardi's.

Grimaldi's is located in Brooklyn by South Ferry, just over the Brooklyn Bridge. While on our walk over the bridge we snapped some pictures.

Also, I know the snow makes these pictures look like I'm really cold - but it wasn't too bad.

Once over the bridge, we headed to get us some pizza and were faced with this:
Do you see that line friends? Now, I will remind you this was a Saturday, in February, at about 3:00 in the afternoon - well after lunch and before dinner.

After waiting about 45 minutes in the cold (J claimed his feet were frozen - we totally should have brought those HotHands instant handwarmers, but alas) our name was called and we entered.

The walls were lined with old pictures and memorabilia from the past. But let's get to the good part - the food.
We ordered a large pizza with ham and onions. When it came out - it looked like this. Dear lord it smelled good.
After inhaling the deliciousness - we took our first bites - the verdict: awesome.
We are two very happy campers! 

The crust is so thin and crispy, the sauce tangy and delicious, the cheese was so fresh and melty, and the best part: the fresh BASIL. Now, I love basil - but it never dawned on me to put fresh basil on pizza It was outstanding.

For dessert we ordered a cannoli to share. Side Note: if you ever eat here - he need to order this. It was perfect way to end our meal.

Overall - this was pizza perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment