
On August 30th, J and I set out for a day of soaking up our city from a far. We walked around Battery Park for a bit and then set our sights on completing my #14 - to ride the Staten Island Ferry.
I remember when I first heard about the Staten Island Ferry a few months ago. A FREE boat ride in the middle of bureaucratic New York. How had little economical me not heard of this on day one when I arrived in this metropolis? Apparently - I need to get my sources in line - but alas I digress...
I have learned 3 things from the Staten Island Ferry:
1. Load the boat on the right side when you leave the city, and go to the top of the boat - you will have awesome unobstructed views of Lady Liberty.
2. Pigeons ride the S.I.F. I kid you not. Stay away from the enclosed areas in the bottom of the ferry- they might fly into you on their way for a great view. I learned this the hard way. Pidgeon to the head = super awkward.
3. On the way back - make your way to the front of the ferry on the 1st or second level - great views of the approaching the city. (and Jersey City!)
Overall - very worth the hour long round trip, and you get to go to Staten Island - it's like different air there you're so far removed from the city. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment